Medical Issues for Adults with Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities
"As much as possible, they (physicians) need to be encouraged to provide the same extent of care they would provide someone without a disability." – Carl V. Tyler, M.D.
What should a visit to a primary care physician accomplish for an adult with a developmental disability? Can most doctors be expected to spot common health problems? How can a support person or case manager help the doctor accurately diagnose a patient who has significant communication issues? In this helpful manual, Dr. Tyler offers the reader:
- Descriptions of common health care needs of this population
- Tips for working with physicians
- Warnings about issues such as under-recognized health problems and adverse drug reactions
- Guidelines for screenings
- Checklists for preventative health care
- A list of resources to contact for more information
- A glossary of medical terms.