A Story About What It’s Like to Need Physical Therapy
- An entertaining way to introduce your child to physical therapy
Benji Bounces Back is a richly illustrated book for children 5-12 about what it’s like to receive physical therapy.
Benji is playing during a family picnic when he sprains his ankle. The family’s doctor recommends physical therapy to make sure the sprain heals quickly.
The story continues as Benji visits Kelly, a friendly physical therapist, for the first time. Kelly teaches Benji some tricks for walking with crutches and does some exercises with him that will help his ankle heal.
We watch as Benji does his ankle exercises at home that look like fun, and his sister joins in!
Benji’s experience helps you talk with your child about:
- What happens in the hospital emergency room after an injury
- How injury assessment and exercises at a physical therapist’s office help the healing process
- What physical therapy treatment might require at home
- Terminology a child might need to know
By Smita Charate, Physical Therapist
Illustrations by Dan Dougherty