“This book challenges Human Service Professionals to fully realize their commitment to high-quality services by dedicating themselves to learning essential management skills.”
Pragmatic Wisdom for Human Service Managers
Getting It Done Right unlike general management books, focuses on the issues uniquely faced by Human Service Managers. Vincent Pettinelli encourages Human Service Professionals to fully realize their commitment to the highest quality services by dedicating themselves to mastering essential management skills.
Getting IT Done Right is an invaluable guide for any Human Service Manager—or any employee considering a move into leadership. Human Services is an environment with diverse constraints and frequently conflicting demands. Leaders are called on to solve problems not commonly found in other fields.
Getting IT Done Right. addresses key issues in Human Service Management:
- The role of a manager in Human Services today
- How to create a successful team
- How to handle the complexities of government bureaucracies, unions, and trade associations
- The financial challenges of balancing client need with available resources
- Why it is critical to understand your numbers and your financial system
- The politics of publicly funded systems
- Challenges with finances in Human Services accountability and the importance of people knowing how their charity and tax dollars are being spent
- How to handle a crisis
- The importance of measuring positive changes for your clients
- How Human Service leaders need to manage their time
- The power in creating and coordinating support systems
- How to motivate employees to do their best by creating a positive culture
- What to consider when deciding whether or not to move into management
- And so much more… including the most important piece of advice Pettinelli would give a new Human Services manager:
“As you move up in your organization, you find yourself in an increasingly rarefied environment. You are leaving the support systems that you had as a younger employee/manager. I think people need to make a conscious choice to move up the ladder. If you’re willing to take the risk, there are a lot of wonderful things that are commensurate with increasing management responsibilities. Of course, there are problems & challenges, but there are wonderful experiences.” – Vincent D. Pettinelli
About the Author:
After graduate school, Vincent took a position as Manager of an Intellectual Disability Center. Although eager and pleased with his new job, he instantly found himself overwhelmed by the new situation and isolated from the other employees. After enrolling in a management program at the University of Alabama Business School, he realized that some of his naive strategies were creating a negative impact. His passion for learning and educating himself has never stopped. He shares his insights, wisdom and years of experience in Getting It Done Right.
High Tide Press – November 2018
ISBN – 978-1-892696-62-5